We’re Hiring – Caretaker (Multi-Family Real Estate)
Posted Under: News
Multi-Family Real Estate
Department: Residential Property Management
Location: Multiple Sites
Reports To: Community Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Part-time
Schafer Richardson, LLC is a real estate investment company providing development, management, leasing, and construction services to its commercial and multifamily real estate portfolio in the Upper Midwest.
Caretakers are responsible for the overall cleanliness and appearance of an apartment building, its common areas, grounds, and related parking structures. Newly vacant apartments are to be cleaned in preparation for new residents. Simple maintenance tasks such as light bulb replacement may be performed in vacant apartment and easily accessible common areas. Some snow removal and maintenance of high-traffic areas not covered by snow removal contractor.
Living on-site is not required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Please note, the job description is not intended to be all encompassing. Other duties may be assigned as necessary for effective operations.
Interior Common Areas
- Each morning (including weekends) the Caretaker is responsible for walking all common areas of the building to identify and correct any cleanliness or appearance deficiencies within the building. Notify Community Manager of other issues that require attention.
- Common Areas as assigned by Community Manager i.e. high traffic/impact areas including entries, hallways, stairwells, elevators, laundry facilities, storage rooms, community and club rooms, fitness center, bike room, restrooms, model apartments, offices, and other common spaces.
- Primary surfaces and areas: On a DAILY basis all primary surfaces in high traffic/impact areas must be clean and free of all grime, dirt, dust, scuff marks, cobwebs, debris, and trash.
- All high-traffic carpet and walk-off mats vacuumed; hallways and low-traffic areas vacuumed once a week; spot work as needed.
- Hard Flooring (tile, vinyl, wood, concrete) – sweep and mop as needed, periodic hand scrubbing needed to clean grout and stubborn dirt.
- Walls and doors – general cleaning and remove scuff marks as needed.
- Glass (entry doors, sidelights, windows) – glass must be clear and free of fingerprints.
- Entry systems and fitness equipment
- Secondary Surfaces: At a minimum, on a weekly basis, secondary surfaces in all areas must be cleaned and free of all grime, dirt, dust, scuff marks, cobwebs, debris and trash (or as needed).
- Aluminum door and window frames, door hardware.
- Entry systems, mailboxes, package lockers.
- Light fixtures, lenses, covers, shades, emergency lighting – remove dead bugs.
- Railings and sills, ledges, baseboards.
- Radiators, heaters, baseboard heat, vents and pipes.
- Fire extinguisher boxes.
- Vending machines, furniture, planters, etc.
- Trash room, receptacles, and chutes (daily):
- Empty trash, replace can liners
- Place any trash or small furnishings into dumpster, sweep area regularly and hose down as needed to eliminate mess and odors
- Clean trash chute doors inside and out
- Amenity Spaces, Models & Offices (daily, if applicable): In addition to duties noted above:
- Clean appliances, coffee makers, beverage stations, etc.
- Keep models looking tidy and fresh by fluffing pillows, placing furniture & accessories into original position, replacing empty air fresheners
- Clean dog spa sinks, tables, etc. and replenish supplies
- Underground parking garages: walk daily to remove trash, sweep entry areas and vacuum walk-off mats as needed to protect flooring in finished common areas. Sweeping and hosing down of general parking area as directed by Community Manager. Notify Community Manager of any violations of the parking and garage use policy.
Grounds & Building Exterior (Daily)
- Trash Pick-Up: each day walks the grounds and parking areas to collect any trash or debris. City sidewalks, curbs and streets are also included as cities do not maintain these areas.
- Building Entries: sweep sand from exterior entries and stairs and wipe down surfaces as needed.
- Landscaping: remove weeds and dead flowers from planters/decorative pots (small items not included in lawn care contract) and water as needed.
- Empty dog stations and replenish supplies.
- Based on areas serviced by snow removal contractor, assist in removal and ongoing maintenance (due to subsequent blowing and drifting) of high traffic areas such as entries and main sidewalks. Salt/sand as needed to maintain a safe walking surface.
Apartment Turnover Cleaning
- Complete all cleaning in vacant apartments to make the unit market ready within the timeframe established by Community Manager, typically 5 days if unrented, sooner if unit is rented and awaiting move-in.
- Turn cleaning includes:
- Kitchen cabinets & drawers, counter tops, sink, faucets, appliances, including laundry equipment.
- Bathroom cabinets & drawers, medicine cabinets, countertops, sinks, faucets, mirrors, bathtub, shower surrounds, shower doors, hardware.
- Hard surface flooring, carpet vacuuming.
- Window/patio door glass & frames, sills, window blinds.
- Doors, trim, casings, baseboards, closet shelving.
- Light fixture lenses, electrical outlet/fixture covers, bulb replacement.
- HVAC equipment rooms.
- Removal of debris, trash and personal belonging from apartment and deck/patio.
- Vacant apartments must be inspected weekly and “touched-up” as needed to keep them in top, market ready condition.
General Site Duties
- Assist Residents in a respectful and professional manner.
- Check-in at the Management Office once per day.
- Deliver letters or notices to apartments, post notices & remove when expired.
- Provide assistance during site sponsored community events.
- Responsible for the care, maintenance, and inventory of necessary cleaning products, supplies and equipment used at the property. Inform supervisor, in a timely manner, when cleaning supplies are needed.
- Responsible for reporting unusual or extraordinary circumstances regarding the property or residents.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Understanding of state statutes and fair housing laws applicable to multi-family communities and property management companies.
- Be aware of, and operate, within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and company safety policies at all times.
- Ability to efficiently use and navigate on the internet and use web-based timekeeping software.
- Walking, climbing stairs, bending to pick-up debris, twisting/turning, reaching, pushing, pulling and handling to perform cleaning duties, lifting up to 35 pounds.
- Use basic hand tools, snow shovel, 8’ step ladder.
- Operating small to medium power equipment, upright vacuum and walk-behind snow blower.
At Schafer Richardson, our team works hard every day to ensure that our customers, clients, and tenants receive the highest level of services available. Customer service and client satisfaction are our primary goals. If you believe your skills and experience are aligned with our team and this opportunity providing variety, challenge, and professional development, please complete the application below and email it to email@example.com: