We’re Hiring – Vice President, Construction
Posted Under: News
Vice President, Construction
Reports To: President, Schafer Richardson
Location: Minneapolis, MN
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Schafer Richardson, LLC (SR) has been recognized for planning, developing, and strengthening our communities through a full-service real estate experience since 1995. We provide quality investment, development, construction, leasing, and management services to our commercial and multifamily real estate portfolio.
The Vice President (VP) of Construction is responsible for managing and directing all aspects of construction operations as part of the overall organizational strategy including financial responsibilities. In addition, the VP of Construction Operations has responsibility for overseeing project execution from start to finish including planning, cost estimating, and staffing. This individual also has the authority to allocate resources and make construction execution decisions in accordance with Company policies, standards, guidelines, and contractual commitments.
Duties and Responsibilities included below. Other duties may be assigned as necessary by Company Principals and Corporate Officers.
- Provide leadership and management/supervision to the Construction team including hiring and managing performance in accordance with Company policies and business practices.
- Mentor, train, and develop team for success.
- Prepare and conduct performance reviews.
- Make appropriate staffing and salary recommendations to Company President.
- Provide oversight and direction during construction projects.
- Monitor and evaluate project execution and management; take corrective action as necessary.
- Responsible for reviewing and authorizing pay applications.
- Provide oversight on project estimates reviewing for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure that assigned construction projects are properly staffed with appropriately trained and skilled professionals required to successfully provide the contracted services.
- Partner with team to develop construction execution plan for projects and proposals which minimizes cost and duration of construction activities.
- Direct preparation and review of project construction execution plans for projects with the Project Managers
- Ensure that construction operations on each project site comply with the applicable safety policies and regulations. Resolve safety and quality issues as necessary.
- Ensure that all projects meet the client specified quality standards.
- Provide construction support to Project Executives and Project Managers. When assigned, include risk assessment and cost estimating for proposals.
- Identify and assess improvement opportunities; champion continuous improvement efforts by supporting the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements and proactively support, encourage, and facilitate staff to engage in continuous improvement activities.
- Understand the major commercial and deliverable terms of the construction subcontracts; manage within these terms.
- Ability to stand in for the Project Manager, if needed.
- Establish and maintain relationships by developing a high level of trust and credibility with clients, strategic partners, subcontractors, and project teams.
- Generate new construction opportunities that are in line with organizational objectives including responding to Request for Proposals for prospective construction projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or construction or equivalent relevant experience
- 10 – 20 years of related construction operations experience, based on assigned area of operations
- 15+ years in a Project Manager role on commercial construction projects $5-$50M
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities
- High degree of professionalism.
- Exceptional leadership, management, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate skillfully at all levels both inside and outside of the organization.
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills.
- Ability to be outgoing, straightforward, self-assured, and one who shares information readily, listens actively, and respects the abilities of others.
- Excellent judgment, decision-making, and analytical skills.
- Ability to think strategically to develop overall strategy for the department in conjunction with organizational goals.
- Strong technical understanding of design and construction.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment to make decisions based on accurate and timely information and analysis.
- Computer proficiency required including a strong working knowledge of Office 365 including Excel, Power Point, and Word.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to execute organizational strategy.
- Detail oriented and results focused.
- High level of integrity and dependability required; operates with sense of urgency while understanding needs of the organization.
- Highly organized and able to effectively multitask and juggle competing priorities.
- Ability to build and maintain strong, positive working relationships with organizational leadership team as well as key stakeholders and other interested project parties.
- Ability to effectively manage, train staff, and delegate appropriately.
- Working knowledge of finance, budgeting, and cost control principles.
- Ability to work together to effectively achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to allocate and effectively use information, personnel, time, and other resources necessary to meet changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Excellent Project Management skills ensuring that project deliverables are met.
- Ability to apply risk assessment policies and procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodate
ions may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee in this position must frequently communicate with employees and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position 50 percent of the time. The employee constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery (i.e., a computer, copy machine, and computer printer. In addition will occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally moves about inside the office to access computer equipment in different office locations.
Travel: Travel to job sites as needed
At Schafer Richardson, our team works hard every day to ensure that our customers, clients, and tenants receive the highest level of services available. Customer service and client satisfaction are our primary goals. If you believe your skills and experience are aligned with our team and this opportunity providing variety, challenge, and professional development, please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
900 North Third Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55401