Join Our Team – Now Hiring: Senior Project Manager, Construction
Posted Under: News
Sr. Project Manager, Construction
Reports to: Vice President, Construction
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Schafer Richardson, LLC (SR) has been recognized for planning, developing, and strengthening our communities through a full-service real estate experience since 1995. We provide quality investment, development, construction, leasing, and management services to our commercial and multifamily real estate portfolio.
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for the overall client satisfaction and success of a construction project, including financial responsibilities. The SPM will be a recognized leader and expert in the construction industry, bring strong client, architect, and engineer relations, as well as generate new business opportunities. In addition, the SPM will create and present accurate, thought-out, and thorough estimates for the scope of work, and execute the work via specific and thorough subcontracts to minimize scope creep or project change orders as much as possible. Superintendents report to the SPM as the decision-making authority in cases where finances and schedules are involved, and the SPM reports to the Vice President, Construction and/or Company President.
Duties and Responsibilities The job description below outlines primary responsibilities and is not intended to be all encompassing. Other duties may be assigned as necessary by the Vice President of Construction or Company Principals.
- Must be responsive and dependable in communication.
- Proactive regarding issues and understanding what is important to our clients.
- Creation of new client leads and continual follow-up.
- Manage a follow up system for previous, current, and potential clients.
- Develop new business opportunities with both new and established clients.
- Cultivate positive client relationships throughout the business cycle including leading entire team’s focus on customer satisfaction during construction. May involve organizing business meetings and client outings (i.e., lunches, golf, hunting, dinner, theatre).
- Create a collaborative environment with both internal and external team members by sharing information, strategy, and resources.
- Prepare accurate and complete estimates by reviewing plans and specifications, risk assessment, and Company guidelines for overhead and margin.
- Identification of risks in estimating process and discussing them with client and Synergy Management.
- Create and implement of bidding process:
- Create & monitor bidding timeline for vendors and internal staff.
- Sufficient subcontract bidding coverage.
- Identification of special bidding requirements and required forms.
- Clarifications with Architect on bidding questions.
- Proper distribution of Addendums to bidders.
- Obtain necessary bid bonds, if required.
- Creation of project estimate form, as well as schedule /duration for project length.
- Create General Conditions estimate for our GC costs for project.
- Direct and coordinate field staff (Foreman and Laborers) to ensure projects meet company standards.
- Coordinate construction phases to prevent delays and resolve conflicts, ensure that work is performed to specification, on schedule, and within budget.
- Execute project cost control and cost management.
- Provide thorough listing of Owner contract clarifications or assumptions.
- Responsible for management of project required submittals – including GC, Subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Prepare schedule of required submittals and track progress.
- Responsible for all correspondence between GC and Owner and GC and design team members.
- Create and maintain RFI’s.
- Create and maintain all cost changes (CRs, PRs, ASIs, etc.).
- Obtain all City permit signoffs.
- Prepare annual performance reviews for direct reports and make staffing and salary recommendations to Vice President of Construction.
- Create and prepare project schedule; continuously review schedule and update with any changes to original timeline.
- Create submittal schedule for incorporation into subcontracts.
- Ability to build, in detail, a complete $15M+ project schedule.
- Complete and manage risk assessment.
- Coordinate necessary pre-construction meetings on high-risk items (waterproofing, roofing, window installation, etc.).
- Analyze site conditions or constraints including weather conditions that may impact ability to complete project on time and within budget.
- Issue and execute Owner and Subcontractor contracts for all scopes of work. No work should be done without a contract in place.
- Responsible for cash flow management including accurate completion of monthly Pay Applications.
- Load all project costs into Procurement schedule for tracking purposes.
- Review and approve subcontractor and vendor payments using proper cost coding for accounting department use.
- Issue and approve Owner change orders.
- Prepare, issue, and approve Subcontractor change orders.
- Create original budget to be loaded into accounting system.
- Create an original billing schedule of values for owner billings.
- Complete financial closeout/reconciliation of all subcontracts so accounting billing matches final contract amount.
- Ensure all Subcontract and Owner change orders are signed.
- Assembly of As-Built drawings in a complete and clear manner.
- Assembly of all O&M Manuals as required by the Project Specifications.
- Ensure receipt of local jurisdiction final sign-off or certificate of occupancy.
- Execute and ensure final punch list items are completed in a timely manner.
- Obtain final sign off from the Owner for punch list items.
- Coordinate necessary training of Owner’s maintenance staff on equipment operation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Requirements
- Ability to coordinate larger ($10M+) estimating efforts, at the SD, DD, and CD stages of design.
- Strong leadership qualities with ability to coordinate and team lead a large commercial project.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Working knowledge of the construction industry codes.
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and Project as well as integrated construction management software.
- Ability to lead and assess trade performance on the job.
- Ability to visualize and create the project schedule’s critical path.
- Ability to schedule, monitor and forecast resources for optimum efficiency.
- Responsible for managing the many facets of the construction project and leading a team through all phases.
- Understand when to seek out professional advice.
- Self-directed with initiative and flexibility.
- Excellent attention to details, organization, and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for purposes of building relationships and effectively communicating various information throughout the project lifecycle.
- Valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and state mandated level of insurance.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management or business is desired.
- Minimum of 15 years of Project Management experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee in this position must frequently communicate with employees and vendors exchanging accurate information in these situations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position 50 percent of the time. The employee consistently operates a computer and other office productivity machinery (i.e., a computer, copy machine, and computer printer). In addition, the employee may periodically visit and walk around construction job sites as well as occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Daily travel to job sites as needed.
At Schafer Richardson, our team works hard every day to ensure that our customers, clients, and tenants receive the highest level of services available. Customer service and client satisfaction are our primary goals. If you believe your skills and experience are aligned with our team and this opportunity providing variety, challenge, and professional development, please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements Erin Buckel, SHRM-CP, at email@example.com.