We are Hiring – Affordable Housing Community Manager – Multiple Locations
Posted Under: News
Affordable Housing Community Manager
Multi-Family Real Estate
Department: Residential Property Management
Location: Multiple Sites – Soul Apartments (St. Paul) and Timber & Tie Apartments (Northeast Minneapolis)
Reports To: Regional Residential Property Manager
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
As a Community Manager, you have a vital role in the success of your community. You will be responsible for all aspects of the apartment community’s day-to-day operations including administration, marketing and leasing, customer service, maintenance, and caretaking. The physical asset must be maintained while striving to improve the financial performance of the property in accordance with the goals set forth in the annual operating budget.
The ideal candidate will also enjoy social media posting, planning resident events, and has prior experience managing a community as well as experience with affordable housing and compliance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Please note, the job description is not intended to be all encompassing. Other duties may be assigned as necessary to effectively operate the apartment community.
- Provide leadership to the site staff and as such must demonstrate strong commitment, operational effectiveness, and clear direction to achieve the performance goals set for the property.
- Must remain current on general and sub-market conditions that impact the occupancy and overall performance of the property.
- Work with Property Supervisor to create and implement an effective marketing plan to maximize the property’s competitive advantages relative to the competition in the area.
- Ensure accurate and timely placement of on-line information either directly or through corporate Property Management Assistant.
- Manage rent levels and concessions in relation to unit availability to maximize property income and provide such information to corporate office when requested.
- Establish connections and interact with the surrounding community to maximize cross-promotional and referral opportunities.
- Maintain Social Media presence and reputation scores by posting regularly to social media outlets and utilizing reputation management software/tools to respond to online postings and reviews. Actively solicit reviews to improve service and review scores.
- In addition to the Minnesota Multi Housing Association, managers will monitor, and participate where possible, in local neighborhood/business associations, charitable organizations and networking groups to promote Schafer Richardson and the property.
- Provide market ready apartments available for showings in addition to any model units.
- Maintain adequate supply of up-to-date marketing materials.
- Ensure prompt response and effective follow-up to all rental inquiries received via telephone, CRM/lead management systems, e-mail, or fax to maximize rental appointments with prospective residents.
- Establish a clear understanding of the features and benefits that provide the property with a competitive advantage relative to the completion and that the leasing staff can use to satisfy the needs and wants of prospective residents during the sales presentation.
- Insist that leasing staff effectively close on all prospective residents.
- Create an organized and consistent follow-up program that maximizes rentals from the available traffic.
- Provide on-going training for leasing staff through company and industry seminars as well as an effective program of on-the-job training and feedback.
- Application processing – collect and input all required from the applicant and ensure that company policy is applied consistently to all rental applications.
- Execute lease agreement and all required paperwork prior to new resident move-in
- Complete all compliance paperwork/interview and gather required documentation from applicant so the application can be processed in accordance with the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program requirements.
- Complete annual recertification paperwork with all residents in accordance with the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program
- Completion of all administrative and clerical task accurately, promptly and in accordance with company policy and all applicable laws
- Keep the office area clean and organized to project a professional image to current and prospective Residents.
Yardi Property Management Systems
- Ensure timely and accurate input of all required information.
- Maintain effective checks and controls over all aspects of the system.
- Collection and processing of rent and other payments in a timely fashion
- Produce late rent letters and actively pursue accounts receivable collections to maximize income and minimize bad debt.
- Track upcoming lease expirations, prepare correspondence, and communicate with Resident to maximize renewals and reduce turnover. Input updated lease information into system.
- Participate in weekly pricing and lease renewal calls to help establish the current marketing strategy that will allow the property to achieve the expected goals, with or without a revenue management software system.
Budgeting & Purchasing
- Work with Property Supervisor to create annual operating and capital improvement budgets.
- Adhere to Purchase Order system to effectively manage expenses and avoid budget variances.
- Completes monthly financial review and variance reporting.
- Prepare paperwork and represent the owner in court in the event of an eviction action or conciliation court.
- Monitors and reports incidents, as well as legal and safety risks
- Customer Service – Property Manager is the lead customer service representative and must set the tone for the entire staff.
- Dispute Management – resolve all resident disputes or complaints in a fair and professional manner and in accordance with established company policy.
- Community Events – conduct community events (summer BBQ, Halloween party, etc.) to establish positive relationships within the community and minimize turnover.
Maintenance & Caretaking
- Walk building & grounds daily to observe performance of maintenance and caretaking staff and determine the priority tasks for that day.
- Evaluate work order and preventative maintenance performance.
- Inspect and ensure quality of unit turn maintenance and cleaning (make-ready)
- Work with Human Resources and Regional Manager to recruit, interview and hire qualified employees.
- Assist Human Resources as necessary to complete all required testing, background searches and paperwork in accordance with company policy.
- Review and approve employee timecards and PTO requests for site staff.
- Assignment of Duties – set duties and areas of responsibility for each staff member.
- Scheduling – establish work schedule to best suit the property and enable it to achieve its goals.
- Create Successful Employees
- Establish clear performance expectations – results, timeframe, cost, etc.
- Communicate clear direction – methods, relevant policies, potential issues, etc.
- Provide necessary support – tools, supplies, information, etc.
- Ensures that all staff complies with internal policies/procedures, department programs, training requirements, Fair Housing laws and other applicable rules and regulations.
- Evaluation, Corrective Measures & Discipline
- Provide continual feedback to employees in addition to the required, periodic performance evaluations.
- Communicate with employee and agree on corrective measures when job performance falls below acceptable levels.
- Provide verbal and written disciplinary action for sub-standard performance or policy violations and termination of employee if required following consultation with Property Supervisor
- Ability to motivate, coach and train employees to reach peak performance and excel and advance their careers and strengthen the talent pipeline within Schafer Richardson.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Understanding of state statutes and fair housing laws applicable to multi-family communities and property management companies
- Detailed understanding of maintenance and caretaking issues related to multi-family units, buildings, and communities.
- Ability to learn and master Yardi property management computer system and related modules.
- Clear understanding and adherence to all SR policy and procedures
- Computer Skills-To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software. Understanding and ability to use Microsoft Office, Outlook, and property management software (Yardi preferred) in a professional manner is required.
- Physical fitness for frequent walking, bending, twisting/turning, climbing stairs, continuous sitting, and use of computer keyboard. reaching, pushing, pulling, handling and occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs. to perform management duties.
At Schafer Richardson, our team works hard every day to ensure that our customers, clients, and tenants receive the highest level of services available. Customer service and client satisfaction are our primary goals. If you believe your skills and experience are aligned with our team and this opportunity providing variety, challenge, and professional development, please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
HR Business Partner
Attn: Human Resources
900 North Third Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55401