We’re Hiring – Senior Corporate Counsel
Posted Under: News
SENIOR CORPORATE COUNSEL
Commercial Real Estate
Reports to: General Counsel
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Schafer Richardson, LLC (SR) has been recognized for planning, developing, and strengthening our communities through a full-service real estate experience since 1995. We provide quality investment, development, construction, leasing, and management services to its commercial and multifamily real estate portfolio.
The primary focus of the Senior Corporate Counsel is to manage the legal aspects of complex business and real estate transactions for SR and SR Realty Trust, Inc. (collectively, the “Company”). This position will take a first chair role in negotiating critical contracts, commercial leases, operating/joint venture agreements, and financing agreements for the entire portfolio including new developments of the Company.
We are looking to hire an energetic, motivated individual for our Legal team. The ideal candidate is a critical thinker who adapts to changing situations and wants to be part of a growing company. Compensation and benefits are competitive, including a generous bonus structure and free parking in a great North Loop, Minneapolis location.
At Schafer Richardson, our team works hard every day to ensure that our customers, clients, and tenants receive the highest level of services available. If you believe your skills and experience align with our team and this opportunity, we want to talk with you. Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Tami Haight, Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities included below. Other duties may be assigned as necessary by the Board of Schafer Richardson, LLC.
- Commercial Leasing and General Real Estate Contracts: Review, negotiate and draft commercial leases, easements, license agreements, guaranties, management agreements, service agreements, listing agreements, escrow and disbursing agreements, tenant financing waivers, tenant estoppels, subordination agreements, and all other types of real estate related contracts.
- Property Acquisitions and Dispositions: Responsible for coordinating and managing closing of real property acquisitions and sales. Review, negotiate and draft purchase agreements, closing documents, closing statements, title commitment, survey review, and pro-forma title policies. Prepare pre-closing and post-closing acquisition/sale checklists and monitor and assist in timely completion of checklist items. Manage real estate deliverables for debt/equity financings, including title curative efforts, acquisitions, and sales. Conduct real property due diligence for transactions and development projects. Manage outside counsel, title insurance and surveyor relationships. Assist real estate and development team with in-depth due diligence for real estate transactions.
- Dispute Resolution: Commence and prosecute commercial unlawful detainer actions. Draft demand letters for delinquent tenants and assist the with collection efforts. Monitor the status of litigation matters handled by outside attorneys.
- Entity Formation: Set up various entities and provide legal advice on operating agreements, joint venture agreements and partnership agreements. Assist with legal implications of adding additional entity members.
- Corporate Compliance: Prepare corporate documents and agreements; oversee compliance matters and complete corporate record keeping.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Work with and supervise paralegal staff.
- Retain and manage outside counsel, as necessary, with supervision of General Counsel.
- Attend meetings with various internal groups and assist in preparation of agreements.
- Ability to interface with senior-level business leaders, as well as work independently and collaboratively with all departments within the organization.
- High Degree of professionalism.
- Exceptional leadership, management, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate skillfully at all levels both inside and outside of the organization.
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills.
- Ability to be outgoing, straightforward, self-assured, and one who shares information readily, listens actively, and respects the abilities of others.
- Reliable judgment on when to seek guidance or subject matter expertise
- Self-motivated with ability to make independent and sound decisions
- Detail oriented with good analytical skills and an ability to advise a diverse range of clients.
- High level of integrity and dependability
- Highly organized and able to effectively prioritize and process a high volume of work while meeting deadlines
- Minimum of five (5) years law firm or a combination of law firm/corporate law experience including exposure to sophisticated corporate/partnership law.
- Extensive experience in commercial real estate and financing transactions.
- Experience spearheading and managing multiple real estate and development transactions with little required oversight in a fast paced, high growth, and dynamic organization.
- Law Degree and license to practice in Minnesota.
- Ability to attend occasional evening meetings
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, moving about the office to access file cabinets, varying office locations, office machines, constantly operating a computer and other office productivity machinery (i.e., computer, copy, fax, and printer). Occasionally positions self to work atop, under or traverse company rooms and or equipment. The person in this position frequently communicates with staff, vendors and customers and must be able to exchange and communicate accurate information in these situations. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Schafer Richardson is committed to equal employment opportunity. Employment decisions are made based on individual skill, ability, reliability, productivity, and other factors. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to race; color; religion; genetic information; national origin; sex; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; age; disability; citizenship status; uniform servicemember status; or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.